Tuesday, November 23, 2010

That's Right, I Go To The School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Being the Harry Potter fans we are, the idea of going to a school where parts of the films were shot was most intriguing. In fact, Christ Church Hall, aka the Great Hall from the films is the main reason their are so many asian tourists wandering around. Sadly, being Hertford College students, we can only walk around the hall as well while the Christ Church students get to eat three times a day in it. Unfair? I think so. It's funny though, walking through it, it doesn't seem as gigantic as it looks in the movies. But don't get me wrong, it's still awesome. Other well-known localtions around Oxford where the film was shot consist of the Bodleian Library, New College, and the old Divinity School for Women which is now attached to the back of the Bodleian.I'm sure there are many more, but that would take a little more research. If you haven't guessed by now, Harry Potter is kind of a big deal here. So of course people go crazy when a movie comes out. Luckily, Paul and I got to experience this last week. Although we couldn't make to the world premiere, (which is still a touchy subject so don't bring it up when I return!) we did travel to London in the wee hours of the morning to see it in the famous ODEON Theatre in Leceister Square. Needless to say, we were underdressed. I can't even begin to describe some of the costumes these people came up with. Some were good, some were weird, and some were absolutely dreadful, but whatever, I wasn't going to say anything seeing as I was carrying around a gnome (proper term "woodland creature" as I found out from another avid Harry Potter fan) in my backpack. In case you haven't seen the movie yet, (which you should!) I'll jut skip that subject and just say it was worth it. So yeah, we've basically touched skin cells with the cast of Harry Potter. I guess that's pretty cool. The one thing, which I still don't understand, is why they don't have an Oxford University Quidditch Team? I would've joined that in a second. Such a shame. Oh, and in addition to all this, Emma Watson also lives in Oxford. I make sure to bring my camera with me everywhere just in case we bump into each other, aka I am trying to find her house and sit outside it until she returns. That's not creepy is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment