Monday, January 17, 2011

Nothing But Orange Roof Tops

Most people I had talked to about travelling through Italy told me to spend only a day or two in Venice and then get to Florence as quickly as possible. I really don’t see why they say that? Frankly, I found Florence monotonous after 1 day. Sure it’s in the middle of gorgeous Tuscany, but one can only take so many panoramic pictures of Florence roof tops with the rolling hills in the background. The hostel Paul and I stayed in was a wannabe St. Christopher’s, but it had great showers, so I can’t complain (Paul doesn’t shower so his opinion doesn’t matter). However, the best part of this hostel, in my opinion, was one of the walls as you go down the stairs to the basement/bar. On this wall was a short list of places one should try and visit while in Florence because of their close proximity. In addition to Pisa, which we were able make it to, was none other than San Gimingano! Pellegrinaggio shout out! And here I thought it was a hidden gem found by Merrimack primarily for its Augustinian community. I wanted to go back and visit so bad, but just didn’t have the time before I was heading down to Rome. Major bummer. Right, so like my arrival in Venice, we were too early for check-in at my hostel and therefore, able to go out see some of the city. Not all that ambitious, Paul and I headed straight for the most famous building in Florence, the Duomo. After a couple pictures of its decorated walls, its orange dome, and the Brunelleschi doors directly opposite it, we headed inside. Thinking the inside was going to be something spectacular, we were left very disappointed. You would think for such an iconic cathedral, it would be exceptionally grandeur inside. Nope, it’s just a large vancancy with the usual mosaics and golden crosses. Even though the basement has been turned into a mini museum of the preceeding christian foundations underneath the present cathedral, the real reason most people go to the Duomo is because, as the tallest building in the city, one can get a great view of the city from the top. Not knowing when the next time I’d be able to come back to Florence, I wanted to take every opportunity that presented itself. This meant climbing not just the Duomo, but the tower next to it. The tower was a waste of time and 6 euro. I realized this at the top of the Duomo when I had a better view of everything that I had just taken pictures of. Oh well. Because I had left the Duomo for last, I got some great sunset pictures. I call it a win. It hadn’t been since London that Paul and I travelled outside the city we were staying in. However, with Pisa only a half hour by train outside Florence, I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to see the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Hearing that Pisa was only good an hour visit at most, this meant Paul and I could get a good chunk of our sightseeing accomplished if we got back early enough. Leaving for the train station around 8:30am, we arrived in Pisa around 9:45am. Tunnel-visioned as we headed to the tower so as not to waste any time, we made it to the Leaning Tower and Pisa Cathedral by 10:00am. We left at approx. 11:00am. The tower itself was quite an architecture wonder for its tilt alone. However I couldn't stop asking myself why they would continue to build it when it started to lean? What will they do when, not if, it falls? I have no idea. For the future travelers, other than this small section of the town, Pisa has little to offer. Back in Florence by noon, we got quick gelato and then headed to the main plaza (I forget the name of it, but it has the fake David statue). After this we stopped in San Croci plaza (nothing really besides the church) before heading across the river to the farthest point on our map, Fort de Monti Croci (if I remember correctly). I had overheard the receptionist telling a couple that it gives a great view of the city. Not only did it give me a good workout to get up to the top and provide a stunning view, but it also has one of the best value gelato stands on the premise. We're talking 2 euro for more than the cup can hold without it falling on your hand. On the way back to the hostel we made sure to walk over the Old Bridge (at least I think that’s what they call it). Looking like a bridge with little cottages hanging off of it, these little huts actually house some of the most expensive stores in Florence. Not in the mood to spend that much money on jewelry, Paul and I headed back to the hostel not knowing what was in store for us the next day. It's funny how a day with really nothing planned can turn into one of the highlights of a trip. It’s become a habit to leave the museums until the last day because I stay in them for so long. Knowing that the real David statue was somewhere in Florence, Paul and I made it our top priority to find it. On the way to the first museum/gallery, we stopped off for a quick look at Dante’s house. Having no idea this even existed, it was cool to see where one of the most inspirational author’s lived. We then hurried off only to wait an hour and a half in line for a gallery with literally nothing in it of value to me except for a few well-known paintings. It was only after asking a local that we found out the real David statue was in the Accademia Gallery. What we didn’t know is that taking pictures of it was not allowed. I’m sorry, but there is no way I was leaving Florence without a picture of such an amazing and famous sculpture. It was this arrogance that got me kicked out of the gallery. Here’s how it all went down. So I walked into the Gallery’s main wing and there it is, right at the end of the hall! In all its glory! It’s really the only piece worth seeing in the entire gallery. After walking around to every angle of the statue and being witness to the security lady saying “No pictures” to numerous others, I tried my luck at a quick photo. I would have had it too if it weren’t for my stupid flash! However, it wasn’t the picture that got me kicked out. The security lady freaked out! Flailing her arms about while rushing over to me, she started yelling, “How many times do I have to tell you?” I replied, “Whoa calm down, I deleted it (which I did)”. She didn’t believe me. I offered her my camera to take a look, but she wouldn’t take it and just continued saying how she’d told me numerous times how pictures were not allowed. I again replied, “Ma’am, you’ve never told me personally.” She continued by saying, “You’ve been here long enough to hear me say it to others, plus we have signs! You are a disrespectful American, that’s the reality!” Taken aback, I would not stand for this remark! As she started to walk I way, I told her how I was sorry, but she was in fact the disrespectful one for making such a big scene when others got a simple warning. Emotions got the best of me. It was after this outburst that the actual security came over and told me I had leave. As the security walked behind me, I proudly showed myself the door and bid them adieu. Oh, and this doesn’t mean I didn’t already have a picture of the David. HA! (the one in this blog is the fake one) Off to Roma!

No comments:

Post a Comment