Monday, October 25, 2010

I've Never Been More Sore!

So finally, after what seemed like a lifetime, Paul and I got out of Oxford for a weekend. This past weekend, Paul and I traded in our books for helmets as we travelled to South Wales with the Oxford University Caving Club. To say it was an amazing experience would be an understatement. This was no tourist exhibit. On Friday, we got our kit which consisted of a helmet, helmet lamp, thermal suit, over suit, belt, and boots. Then it was off to South Wales. Don't even ask me what the name of the exact location because I couldn't learn Welsh if my life depended on it. Friday night we arrived at our hut and planned who would be going on what route. After a good night sleep and a hearty breakfast, we got assigned our team leaders and set off. Sadly, due to the intensity of our routes, Paul could not come into the caves. He was bummed, but after I told him what I went through, he was glad he stayed behind. Saturday was definitely the toughest out of the two excursions. Simply put, I never knew my legs could spread that far. To start, we crawled our way to an opening where the river had run for thousands of years. So of course our next task was going against the current. Oh, and it should be mentioned that the other groups abandoned this route because it had just rained and the water levels were high. Straddling the flowing waters, we shimmied our way up the path for a good half an hour. Once we reached dry land, we took a break and turned off our lights to experience a darkness like you've never experienced! I couldn't even see my hand in front of my face. After a quick snack, we scaled a wall with nothing but a rope and traversed over a hundred foot drop with nothing but a cable to keep us to the wall. This was followed by some more crawling and squeezing through holes that you can't imagine leading to anywhere until it was time to descend. However, the only way to do this was through, pardon my french, the "Elephant's Asshole." The "Elephant's Asshole" is basically just a big shaft in the ground that is impossible to safely crawl down. To get down, we had to wedge ourselves against the walls and slowing slide down. Finally, after over 3 hours underground and a full body workout, we climbed the multiple ladders to be greeted by sunny skies and smell of horse poop. After a night of caving games such as the squeeze machine, which is just two pieces of wood that you tighten and then try and fit through, we woke up to do it all over again. This time we drove a bit farther to another place I had no idea how to pronounce, but was on a mountainside so the view was fantastic. However, yet again, the route I was taking, named Aggy, was too constricting for me to bring Paul, so he had to stay in the car. Of course, before we went into the cave, we had get our kit on. This was probably the worst part of the weekend because all the clothes were still wet and cold from the day before, but with a little encouragement from Paul, I got through it. It really didn't matter how wet or cold I was before we got in the cave because the moment we stepped in the entrance, we were on our stomachs and in the water again. This cave was definitely the more scenic of the two, but it was still exhausting. After tons of climbing, sliding, squeezing, and rock hopping, we entered a huge open area carved out by the water. This was unbelievable! I mean huge! From this point it was a very easy walk around the cave. On the way we stopped to examine some crystal-like formations and then our leader took us to a part of the cave that shows how deep it actually is. Standing on a ledge, you couldn't see the ceiling and barely make out the rushing water at the bottom. We then turned around and went back the way we came until we reached the open air. A quick change into warm clothes and we started back to Oxford. I must say that I have never been more sore in my life! Places on my body hurt that I didn't even know I had. Regardless of the pain and oncoming cold from the freezing water, it was an amazing weekend. Just looking around and feeling the walls of the cave, its unbelievable to think how they were all formed by water over thousands of years. Everybody was encouraging and willing to help in any situation. So I guess the only question is will I ever do it again? I hope to. If not here, then maybe back in the states. But I think next time I'll do something a little less intense so Paul can come along too.

1 comment:

  1. When you come back we will go to Purgatory Chasm for some not so intense but still really cool caving in Mass. Missing You.

    ReplyDelete