Monday, October 11, 2010

Oxford puts the STUDY in Study Abroad.

I believe the saying is, "Every rose has its thorn." Oxford is no different. For all its beauty, Oxford is still a school. With school comes work. Sadly, I'll probably be spending more time running from library to library than travelling England during the term. Therefore, I thought I would I give a quick rundown of my everyday activities thus far. First off, my schedule. I have two tutorials, meaning once a week, and once every other week, I have a sit down with a professor to discuss the essay I have written. The meeting usually lasts for an hour and consists of my professor countering my argument and asking questions about the various sources I used. That's about it. You'd think I would have tons of free time, yet it's the exact opposite. The way the schools over here work definitely test your ability to be diligent with your time. In between my tutorials I usually start my days by saying good morning to Paul and start my reading. After a quick breakfast, usually mini wheats, I read some more. This is followed by more reading until lunch. After lunch I go to a local shop called the Fudge Kitchen for my daily free sample of fudge and then quickly exit before the clerks try to sell me some. This deviant act is then followed by a case of bewilderment as I try and navigate myself through another seemingly endless library. Real talk, the Bodleian Library by itself has access to over 9 million books. Its absurd. Anyways, after this riveting excursion I either go back to my room and read or wander around the streets to see if anything new catches my eye until dinner. After dinner I usually relax and sing duets with Paul or attempt to make progress on one of my essays. Occasionally, after a hard days work, I'll reward myself by going out to one of the thousand local pubs and bars. However, this period of tranquility is always cut short by the fact that once I wake up the next morning, I'll have to start all over again. I'm sure this routine will get monotonous after the first couple weeks, but all this said, every time I walk down the street to Hertford and look around, I say to myself, "I go to school here," and it makes everything worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment