Thursday, December 2, 2010

Scratch Another One Off The Bucket List

One of, if not the most important world heritage site Paul and I had to see while here was Stonehenge. Luckily, with the aid of Bulter and their day trip to Stonehenge and Winchester Christmas Market, we were able to fulfull this goal. Leaving from the the Butler offices in London early in the morning, Paul and I had to catch an early bus from Oxford just be able to go. After missing the stop that would have dropped us off basically at their doorstep, we made it just in time for the loading of the buses. The staff were happy to see Paul poking his head out of my bag again as I approached. I'm not sure about Paul, but I slept most of the drive only to wake up in what looked like barren, snow capped, countryside. Then, out of no where, it appeared. I was shocked. It was so close to the road, it was almost anticlimatic how we just turned a corner and there it was. Regardless of its location, we were giddy to start walking around it ant taking pictures. the only drawback to this trip was the weather. It was cold. Really cold. So cold that Paul only came out of my bag for a couple pics and couldn't take it anymore. This inclination to get to warmth did speed up our walk, but that doesn't mean I stood and gazed at it for a good 15 minutes at multiple instances. So much history, so much mystery, it is the most significant man-made structure ever in my book. Bold statement I know, but whatever, if the weather wasn't so bad, I could have spent the days there. Following a mass exit for the bus for warmth, we were off to the town of Winchester. No not where my dad use to work (HA clever joke), the Anglo-Saxon territory known as Wessex that I just so happen to study but had no idea was later named Winchester. Only did I recognize this when I found a giant statue of King Alfred in the center of the town. This realisation gave a whole new light to what I had just seen. The Winchester Cathedral was amazing. Has to be one of the most beautiful and most historic churches I've ever been in. Greatly disheartning was the inability to take photos within the room with the Cathedral's ancient texts. Not only did they possess an Anglo-Saxon land charter dating back to the 900's, but they had, in very good condition, a medeival Bible that was just gorgeous. Among other ancient Anglo-Saxon sites, the Winchester Great Hall, complete with King Arthur's Round table, left me dumbfounded and staring up at it (as it was mounted on the wall) for more time than I spent at the town's main attraction, the Christmas Market. Known as one of the best Christmas Markets in England, Christmas spirit was at a high here and Paul and I were loving it. As the sun began to set, the Christmas lights around the streets came on and put a smile to my face. Paul was smiling as well, but thats because his face is permantly like that. I'm sure he appreciated it anyway being originally a christmas decoration himself. With the disappearance of the sun came the bitter cold and we were wilst back to London. Another successful Butler trip. Major props.

No comments:

Post a Comment