Friday, December 3, 2010

Time Flies When You're Writing Papers

The Famous Turf Tavern
"An Education in Intoxication"

Not gonna lie, my time here at Oxford has flown by. Throughout this term I've made some great friends and gained a knowledge of how to study history I use to only dreamed of. Now in my final days, my free time is consumed by last minute papers and reading so my tutors can give an assessment of how I've progressed. Obviously I've started reflecting on this whole experience and what I've gained from it. I came here with the intent of challenging myself with the methods of higher learning. I can now say that I have done just that. Oxford has given me a new found appreciation not just for reading, but critically thinking about what I've read and how to form my own arguments from the multiple conflicting sources. Walking around the seemingly endless Blackwells Book Store and numerous history libraries, I wish I was here longer just so I could read for my own pleasure. The workload here is intimidating and the tutorial layout is different from anything in American universities. Plain and simple, you won't produce quality work and will be humiliated in your tutorials if you do not gain the independence and responsibility to work diligently throughout the day and night. I feel I have learned this and have grown academically because of it. I know for a fact (one of the rare times I can use the word "fact" this term) that all my hard work during these past 8 gruelling weeks will help me in more ways than one going forward. And for that, I would again, like to thank my family and friends for there continuous encouragement, Lauren Gannon for providing me with this rewarding opportunity, everyone else who has helped me along the way, and my tutors for their academic guidance to make me criticize literally everything I now read. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment